Pieters structural engineer for swimming pool and ice hall De Vliet
Leiden will have a new ic.
The new ice rink is a sustainable replacement for the skating rink at Vondellaan. And the pool is a sustainable replacement for the Five May Pool.
The new complex will soon have the following facilities:
- 250 meter ice rink, 30 meter x 60 meter ice floor and 45 meter x 20 meter scribble track, for long track skating, ice hockey, short track and figure skating,
- a grandstand with 300 seats for the ice floor and 250 seats for the 250-meter track,
- 35 meter x 25 meter indoor pool for top sport water polo and short track swimming,
- communal entrance and catering for ice rink and indoor pool,
- facilities and spaces for skating and swimming clubs.
The roundabout will be located on the 1st floor and will partly go over the scribble track.
Opting for a combined building can take full advantage of synergy benefits, both in use, space savings and energy exchange.
The building "goes off the gas" and becomes 100% CO2 neutral. This makes it one of the most sustainable sports complexes in the Netherlands. The residual heat from the ice rink is used to heat the swimming water. The roof of the new swimming pool and the ice rink will be covered with solar panels.
Construction will start at the beginning of 2021, and it is planned that the swimming pool and the ice rink can be used at the start of the 2022-2023 season.
Return to the news overview